In the past 1 month, there were a number of new issues of bank perpetuals. Together with US 10Y Treasury back to 3%, the prices of bank perpetual bonds are now at 1 year low:
- These are 250,000 size perpetual bonds with resets on their call dates.
- They are all Basel III bonds. The local bonds may be written off if there is a trigger event and agreement by MAS. HSBC bonds may be converted to shares if there is a trigger event and agreement by BOE.
- As the call dates increases, the YTC also increases.
- Existing holders of these bonds will be happy to know that even with interest rates increasing and prices at 1 year low, these perpetual bonds prices are still resilient.
- There are no obvious bargains at the moment. If I were to choose, I would prefer a bond with call date about 2Y or 3Y left. That would be OCBC 3.8% or UOB 4% perps.
- I'm a remisier with Maybank Kim Eng, and as a bonds and REITs investor myself, I guide my clients to build resilient bonds and REITs portfolios. If you like to be guided, please contact me regarding how to become my client; It's free!
- WealthLions is my blog where I journal my trading ideas and share my opinions about the markets. To receive an email whenever I post them, please subscribe to my Blog Updates. If you like to be kept posted of my events, please subscribe to my mailing list. No spam, I promise.