As USD 10Y Treasury yield crosses 3%, SGD denominated bonds are at fair value.
My SGD bond watchlist
These are the bonds that I want to buy if the bond prices drops. The following stands out at the current moment.
(1) LippoMalls 7% perp
- The price has been beaten down because
- occupancy rate dropped
- Moody’s downgrade of LippoMalls and its sponsor
- new Indonesia tax laws on withholding tax
- YTC of 6.74% and supercharged yield of 15.34% makes this bond mouth watering.
- Reset at 5Y SOR + 5.245% makes it likely that LippoMalls will call back the perpetual bond in 2022.
(2) First Reit 5.68% perp
- YTC of 5.18% and supercharged yield of 9.95% is very decent returns for a strong company.
- Call date in 2021 makes it resistant to interest rate increase.
- Stable earnings
- WALE (weighted average lease expiry) of 11 years
- No forex risk
- Not affected by new withholding tax laws
(3) UOB 4%, Mapletree Log 4.18%, and Ascott 4.68% perpetuals
- All 3 investment grade bond offers better returns than what our banks’ fixed deposits.
- Of these 3, my preferred Ascott 4.68%, giving YTC of 3.85% and supercharged yield of 7.07%. Call date in 2 years in 2020. 45% ownership by Temasek.
Are perpetuals penalized when interest rates increase?
Yes, so I have carefully selected these perpetuals based on a near call date and with good coupon reset if they are not called.
If you have questions on these bonds, please contact me.
- I'm a remisier with Maybank Kim Eng, and as a bonds and REITs investor myself, I guide my clients to build resilient bonds and REITs portfolios. If you like to be guided, please open a trading account to become my client; It's free!
- WealthLions is my blog where I journal my trading ideas and share my opinions about the markets. If you like to be kept posted of my new blog posts and events, please subscribe to my mailing list. No spam, I promise.